In continuation of the previous piece, “A man of Like Passion (I)” The answer to the asked question is a blunt NO.
In biblical times, in the old testament, when the activities and dealings of God’s spirit was not explicit with individuals, some men stood out unique and exceptional, and were able to serve as conduits and mobile portals, by which God unleashed himself upon the earth. Via such men, divinity collided with humanity, and it altered the course of humanity as a whole. I’ll mention a few.
1. Samuel: The bible spoke of Samuel, as a prophet who God honored his every word. Samuel first encountered with Yahweh when he was just a young boy, he grew and became a mighty prophet in the whole land of Israel. He couldn’t have attained unto the point of being used of God to such a magnitude without intentional yielding and subjugation of the flesh. Through him, King Saul and the whole land of Israel received instruction and guidance, so much such that even when he was no more, the king tried to consult him through a necromancer. Samuel was the prophet God used to anoint Saul king over Israel and eventually anoint his real choice for a king over his people, David, for he was a man after God’s own heart.
Samuel was known all over the land of Israel as the oracle and mouth piece of God, the custodian of the words of God.
2. Enoch: Having established that after the fall of man, man by default became antagonistic to God. However, one man called Enoch was different. He was uncustomary to the norm of humanity, aberrant, preternatural and phenomenal. The bible attested of him as a man that walked with God. He walked with God and one day, he was no more because God took him. How can a man, whose default state was antagonistic to God, somehow explore a path, harness an ability and live a life that was so pleasing to God, so much such that he was taken and did not see death? Such a level of intimate walk with God that his humanity was totally submerged in God’s divinity.
3. Moses: Drawn out of the water after his parents who could hide him no longer, left him to float to where pharaoh’s daughter bathed, so he could be found and tended after. He grew in the palace as a prince of Egypt, but had to flee after he was seen killing and Egyptian for molesting an Israelite. He fled to Haran and dwelt there for forty years, where he was encountered by God, and was sent back to be the savior, by whom God’s people would be freed from slavery. At one time, during one of his encounters with God, he asked; if I have found favor in your sight, show me your face. How could a man have such boldness to ask God to show him his face? God replied, you cannot see my face yet, but there is a place by me, a rock. I’ll hide you there and cause all my goodness to pass by you, after which you’ll see my back, but as for my face, you will not see, for no one can see my face and live. This same man asked God, that if you will not go with us (talking about their voyage from Egypt through the wilderness to the land of promise), please don’t send us, Moses rejected an angel and asked for the presence of God (Gen. 33: 12-23). Moses also operated under the messianic spirit.
4. Joshua: While the Israelites travelled through the wilderness, at a point in time, the people provoked God due to their unbelief, and God decided that no one of them from that generation would see the promise land but two people stood out, phenomenal and different, their names; Joshua and Caleb. The bible recorded that they had a different spirit (Num. 13: 17-33, 14: 1-30 and 38). This same Joshua son of Nun succeeded Moses and led the Israelites to the promise land amidst several battles fought. At one occasion, during one of the battles, scriptures record that Joshua, commanded the sun and the moon to stand still, till he was done with the great slaughter of the enemies of God (Joshua 10: 14-14).
Now, I will like to explain abit further, Joshua did not only command the sun and moon to stand still, as we all know, science makes us understand that the sun does not rotate, rather, the planets rotate and revolve around the sun, (the earth rotate on its axis, and revolves along its orbit, and it is also tilted at an angle if twenty three and half degrees) as well as other celestial bodies. This therefore means that Joshua did not only command the sun or rather the earth now, to stop rotating and revolving, rather, he also commanded the earth and other planets to come to a complete halt, a stand still.
How on earth can a man, a man of like passion be able to alter the course of nature so much? It’s just too flabbergasting and overwhelming.
5. David: A man after God’s own heart, although under the law, however understood grace and was able to pipe into God and download great psalms, melodies, expressions, revelations, understandings, and prophecies on the messiah. Such a man that had the experiential knowledge of God and could boast of that any day, any time (1 Sam 17: 34- 37).
We of today are not any different.
Jesus himself was a man of like passion, in that he was in the flesh (Heb. 4: 15, 5: 7).
Apostle Paul was a man that sought God with fasting and prayers (Acts 9: 9, 2 Cor. 6: 5), and downloaded several revelations about God. These revelations are so deep that he had to ask to be prayed for to be granted utterance, spirit energized communication. Even Peter had to at one time say that the revelations Paul had were so deep (2 Pet. 3: 15-16). This was also a man of like passion since he was still in the flesh, having a mortal body and was affected by nature.
The list is endless, talk about Apollos, John, James, Stephen, Philip and others. If these men could do these great exploits, simply by intentionally beating and buffeting the flesh, consistent yielding to the spirit, focusing on the price of the high calling, laying aside every weight and looking unto Jesus who is the author and finisher of our faith, and by faith, refusing to yield to the comfort of this world, this means you and I are not in any way exempted.
This is not a call for some few exceptional fellows, but for everyone who believes, for Mark 16:17-18 says, “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 .They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. And also Heb. 11: 35 talks about men of faith who wrought wonders, the bible never said they were hybrids or demigods, it says “And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gideon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: 33 Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, 34 Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens. 35 Women received their dead raised to life again:……………….”.
The bible says, the heavens, even the highest heavens belong to God, but the earth he has given to the sons of men (Psalm 119:16), the word of God also says, that forever oh God, thy word is settled in heaven (Psalm 119:87). It also says, the God always seeks for a man to use on this earth (Ezekiel 22: 30).
It is therefore clear that God at every point in time depends on the vessels on earth, in order to have a free flow and ease of operation and the establishment of his government and statutes. Man is also a god on earth.
In 1 kings 17: 1 downward accounts for a strange prophet who arrived on the scene and declared to the king of Israel, “And Elijah the Tishbite, who was of the inhabitants of Gilead, said unto Ahab, As the Lord God of Israel liveth, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, but according to my word.”
I am of the opinion that if perhaps Elijah had died before he prayed for the rains to be back, either God would raise him from the dead back to life so as to open the heavens, or God would relocate the whole nation of Israel, even though he promised the land to their father, Abraham.
In Deuteronomy 28, God spoke and assured the Israelites, that blessings awaits them if his statutes and ordinances are kept, but peril and plagues will encumber them if vice versa. One of the perils was the shutting up of the heavens. One may say that Elijah stood upon the integrity of the already spoken word, even as the circumstance in Israel perfectly fitted into the crucible of scripture. There is however more to that.
The book of 1 Kings 17 downwards makes us understand that after Elijah declared that prayer, the heavens was shut, until three and half years later, after the contest at mount Carmel, where he prayed and eventually the heavens open and gave rain once more. A more vivid and intricate nitty-gritty of the story was accounted for in James 5. It says Elijah was a man of like passion like us, in that he was equally encumbered with the limitations of the flesh “,……….17 Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit…….”
He felt what we feel, yet he still could yield and attain a point of alignment, synchrony and stature, so much such that when he spoke, God honored his words. Science tells us that rainfall in general may either be convectional, orographic, frontal. Any other type of rainfall or precipitation as a whole, falls when water vapor in the atmosphere condenses and gathers, then its pulled down and falls.
This “man of like passion” did not only shut the heavens for a time span of three and half years, He also altered the course of nature, he made the clouds heavily pregnant with precipitation(water) for years, he totally defied and suspended the natural course that results to all forms of rainfall, convectional, orographic, and frontal, amongst others. This definitely will affect other elements of weather and climate such as temperature, humidity amongst others. Yet, he was described as “a man of like passion”, who was not filled with the holy spirit, who hadn’t the revelations of Christ, who only had the knowledge and revelation of God from a loop sided vista, yet he could wrought such wonder.
How exactly did he do what he did, was it by a declaration of faith? Was it courtesy of his alignment with the word of God? Was it because he was sent of God? How did Elijah, a man of like passion shut the heavens for a time span of three and half years?
The infallible, ever potent and ever true word of God says, Elijah was a man of like passion like us, yet he prayed that there will be no rain, and there was no rain for the time span of three and half years, and he prayed again, and there was rain, James 5:17-18. “Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit”.
If Elijah, a man without the Holy Spirit in him, operating under the law, could do this, I believe that no one alive under the heavens of God, and upon the earth surface has any excuse.
Man, anthropos, is a being that was designed by God to look up to Him for life and survival.
I am of the believe that irrespective of the limitation posed before us by the nature of our mortal body, as it threatens us on our path to mastery, stature, spiritual progress, and fulfillment of purpose and destiny, we can still yield to the spirit, subjugate the mortal body, and yield to our maximum potential in God. We may be “men of like passion” in terms of weakness and limitation, but with the holy spirit, we can become “men of like passion” in that we all are passionately driven by the zeal and workings of the spirit to do our fathers business, the kingdom business, so that just as Jesus said that the zeal of my father’s house has consumed me, such can be our testimony too.
Yielding and attaining absolute, mastery over the flesh and its elements is not an escapade that can be accomplished using the beggarly implements of the same flesh, or harnessing some form of soul power, or any other means, for the bible says,……by strength shall no man prevail (1 Sam. 2: 9), and it also say, it is not by power, nor by might, but by my spirit says the Lord of host (Zech. 4: 6).
We are “men of like passions”, sure, but we can also be “men of like passions”, who in this time, are driven by the Holy Spirit, with hearts locked and yielded only to do the masters biddings in deep waters.
Remember, that which is of the flesh cannot please God, and until we yield and submit to the spirit, we will constantly be slaves to the flesh, and helplessly gratify its selfish and evil desires.
May the good God of all abilities, strengthen and engrace us sufficiently, so as to rise from being men of like passions, passions of weakness, and attain unto being men of like passion, men who are passionate and consumed and lost in doing the fathers business.
Remember, it is all about the kingdom, therefore, let us yield, come together, and become passionate indivisible, invincible body.
God bless us all.